About Gastroenterology Department
This post is also available in: العربية (Arabic)
When your digestive system isn’t working properly, it impacts not only your health but also the quality of your everyday life, from work performance, your family time, and your ability to enjoy social outings.
In Al Garhoud Private Hospital Gastroenterology department, our goal is to offer you comprehensive care and treatment for a wide range of gastrointestinal and liver conditions. Furthermore, Gastroenterology department is involved in many specialized aspects of gastroenterology such as non surgical proctology and digestive oncology.
Health tips on how to control Your Acid Reflux Symptoms
– Avoid specific foods: food that causes you discomfort such as acidic foods (citrus fruits and tomatoes), spicy foods, coffee and chocolate
– Don’t overeat : eat four or more smaller meals each day, and lower the amount of fat in what you’re eating
– Don’t smoke : cigarettes reduce saliva production, increase stomach acid and irritate the esophagus
– Don’t lie down within three hours of eating: when you lie down after you eat, the acid flows more easily back up the esophagus.
– Don’t sleep flat on your back : elevate your head and chest by using an incline wedge pillow
– Don’t ignore your weight: risk and severity of reflux tend to increase for those who have higher body weights. This could be related to increased pressure on the stomach or hormonal changes
– Don’t be afraid to get treatment : ask your doctor about treatments for reflux. In addition to lifestyle changes, prescription medication can help alleviate symptoms.
Upper and lower digestive endoscopy
Gastroscopy is a procedure used to explore the esophagus, stomach and duodenum. It can detect inflammation, abnormalities related to acid reflux, ulcers and abnormal growth. It enables a quick diagnosis of Helicobacter infection and lactose intolerance.
Colonoscopy is a procedure used to view large intestine (colon and rectum) using an instrument called colonoscope (a flexible tube with a small camera and lens attached). It is used to diagnose early signs of colorectal cancer, bowel disorders, abdominal pain, muscle spasms, inflamed tissue, ulcers, anal bleeding, and non-dietary weight loss.
Polyps or growths can be removed by gastroscopy or colonoscopy which can be sent later for detection of cancer. Polyps are non-cancerous abnormal growth of the tissue along the lining of gastrointestinal wall. If not removed, they can turn into cancer.
Hemorrhoid Band Ligation
Hemorrhoid Band Legation is a highly effective nonsurgical procedure for treatment of symptomatic hemorrhoids, causing prolapsed or bleeding. Post procedure pain is absent or minimal and recovery very fast.
Capsule Endoscopy is a diagnostic tool helpful in taking pictures of the digestive tract especially small intestine. In video capsule endoscopy the patient swallows a capsule of size of a large vitamin pill. This capsule contains a camera which takes thousands of pictures of the digestive tract during its passage through the digestive tract and transmits it to a recorder worn as a belt on the waist for about 12 hours to store the images.
Ultrasound imaging is a diagnostic procedure that uses high-frequency sound waves to produce images of the internal structures of the body. It is used in the diagnosis of different conditions such as gallstones, liver tumors, fatty liver, pancreatic diseases and bowel inflammation. The procedure is painless and has no risks.
Food Tolerance & Allergy Tests
Many patients think they have food allergies, yet may have food intolerance.
It is important to seek medical advice if you think you have food allergy or intolerance before starting diet changes and excluding foods from your diet.
Hydrogen Breath tests
A breath test is a noninvasive method of measuring the levels of certain gases in your breath to determine the presence of various digestive disorders, such as lactose intolerance or fructose intolerance. Small intestine bacterial overgrowth syndrome (SIBO) is another digestive condition characterized by the uncontrolled growth of bacteria in the small intestine, which digest food and release gas causing bloating and discomfort to the patient.
Our department offers comprehensive services including Fibroscan for diagnosis and management of acute/chronic liver, gallbladder, biliary tract, and pancreatic conditions.